Chapter 26 is a very simple chapter, in retrospect: Scout learns about hypocrisy, although not by that word, and discovers that Jem is trying to wipe out the memory of the Tom Robinson trial. I don't really have much of a comment on either of those things, it's easily understandable why Jem would try to forget, seeing as he is just like Atticus in the fact that he believes in equality and justice, and it would make sense that Mrs. Gates, Scout's teacher, would have to say that prejudice is bad in a teaching situation. I don't blame her for being a hypocrite, but I still don't justify it.
Chapter 27's events, or lack thereof, is hard to find anything to talk about. However, there is this one part that I always found weird: Whenever the Mrunas were spoken of, it seems like their state of affairs were so terrible. However, they also want to fix their sense of family, too. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a large group of people pretty much be your family.
Chapter 28 was rather swift and unexpected, and Scout's muddied perspective due to the ham costume was ingenious. It allowed for everything to remain a mystery. When I was reading it, I only realized halfway through that they were being attacked, however, I knew from that moment that it had to be Bob Ewell, trying to get revenge by preying on the weak, just as he had been doing the entire book. The end, however, was unexpected and expected in a way. The description of the attack was too unclear to really know what happened, but I knew that Bob Ewell probably got hurt in some way or another, Where the Red Fern Grows style.
Well, I can't say I didn't see this coming, but I didn't expect it to come out this way. For chapter 29's events, the reveal that Boo Radley was the one who saved Scout and Jem was a surprise, but one that I had been anticipating slightly the entire book. The author had hid his character the entire time, but gave hints that he was a nice person, so it was necessary to have him do some heroic deed in his big reveal in the book. It was telegraphed enough to be expected, but not enough to be obvious, which is really hard to do in a book. At least, from what I've seen.
In chapter 30, I honestly didn't expect Atticus to be pushing so hard for his son to get tried of murder. I know that he's a man of equality and justice, but when the likelihood of a man stabbing themselves to death being so high, and that the only witness is a panicked little girl in a ham suit, then there'd be too little evidence to go to court on charges of murder. Still, this side of Atticus was an honest shock to see.
Chapter 31, the grand finale, didn't exactly feel like a grand finale. It ended in a flat, dull note, but I guess that's the goal the author was going for. A return to the daily grind. Regardless, it was an end that felt right. It just felt like it was the way to end it. Not on a big note, but on a subtle, sharp note that makes you realize everything you didn't before. The beginning of the book now makes sense, at least.
Overall, I enjoyed the book. It was confusing at times, but that was on purpose. You were supposed to understand what Scout could not, which made this feel a lot more readable, but a lot less accessible. To understand the deeper meanings of things, some guidance would be required.
No comments:
Post a Comment