In chapter 14 I though that Dills presence was the only thing that gave Scout Joy. With aunt Alexandra changing her father, and being shut out by her brother, Dill was the only thing that remained unchanged in her life. I think that this is what Scout wanted, for everything in her life to stay the same. The last part of the chapter confused me. Where was Atticus when Dill snuck into his daighter's bed? Am I the only one who thinks that's really wierd? Also, why was he talking about wanting a baby, when technically he is a little kid himself? I think that the gray house with sad brown doors symbolizes how Dill feels about not having a real family to feel secure in. He is just bounced from one person to another and I think that imagining his life with Scout is the only thing that gives him the hope he needs to keep going.
Saturday, September 21, 2013
Chapters 12-14
I found the part when Cal took the kids to church interesting. The woman was being very rude when she said that the kids were not welcome to the church. First of all, she should have been welcoming because they were little children and did not mean any harm, and also this was a place where white and colored people could find peace in something that they both had in common: God. I also didn't understan why Cal took the kids there if the church was build by colored people and they were the only ones that went there. Chapter 13 aggravated me because Aunt Alexandra was present. Atticus allowed her to live with their family so she could have a "feminine infuence" on the kids. However, Cal had the same influence on the kids their entire life, the only difference is the kids loved and respected Cal more than aunt Alexandra. I think that the real reason why Aunt Alexandra came to live with them was to keep an eye on Atticus, and to make sure that he would not ruin their family name. I think that aunt Alexandra is very opinionated about people she doesn't like but she is exactly like them. She doens't keep her nose out of everybody's bussiness, and she is hostile to the kids, just like Mrs. Dubose was. I think that she talks negatively about everybody else just to draw away attention from herself. I also found the part where Atticus' generation was the only one who married outside of their family. Why did people marry their cousins back then? Also why was it that only the Finch family did this?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment