Monday, September 30, 2013

To Kill a Mockingbird: Chapters 17, 18, and 19. dD

As fun as it would be to discuss very fine detail, that would take just a bit too long, so I will discuss things in semi-fine detail.

Atticus definitely seems to know what he's doing during the trial, by getting answers and specific details out of the witnesses, such as how he got the knowledge that Bob Ewell was left-handed, and then had noted later that Tom Robinson's left arm was disabled.

I feel like Mayella is either deliberately lying or is very very confused about the whole situation, because her details are quite inconsistent. She also seems to be unskilled when it comes to formality, thinking someone who calls her "miss" is mocking her. I feel like she wasn't really scared by Atticus, but more of trying to do something to get to avoid saying anything at all. Tom Robinson is seen a bit skeptically for saying he does things out of good will, and not for monetary gain.

From the way they talk in this trial, it feels like the English language has come a long way, it's pretty jarring, but then you could contrast that with the proper grammar and whatnot of the book's text itself, leading me to believe that it may just be the accent combined with varied levels of education everywhere.

It seems to be that Bob Ewell was the person who injured Mayella, and since no doctor was called I also doubt that she may have been raped, she may not actually know what rape means. That, or Bob deliberately did not call a doctor since he was the perpetrator.

These chapters were more fun to read than I had expected, which is always a pleasant surprise.

Thanks,
~B.E.

dD datadyne

No comments: