Thursday, September 19, 2013
To Kill a Mockingbird Chapter 11
I found it very touching when Scout said that she admired Atticus as brave even without a gun. You can really appreciate the bond that he has with his children and how good of a father he really is. It was heartbreaking for me to read how excited Scout was to get her baton, and then have Jem destroy it along with Mrs. Dubose's camellias. I felt so bad for her while reading it and on top of it all Jem did not seem to sympathetic. I guess that's what happened when you get to me as mad as he was about his father being insulted. It all just built up inside of him and he could no longer control it. Atticus tried to console Jem by saying that it was his conscience that led him to believe that all races were equal and that is why he took the case. The reading to Mrs. Dubose I thought took so much courage on their part because they were so threatened by her. I think that they after they started to realize how much the reading meant to her, Scout especially began to notice that she was not a terrible person. Jem,however, did not get the hint. After she passed, Jem received camellia in a box from her. Jem thought she was trying to taunt him for what he had done. Atticus defended her by saying that it was her way of thanking them for reading to her and that she had suffered so much from her morphine addiction and was such a brave person. In fact, the bravest person he had ever known.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment