Monday, September 16, 2013

To Kill a Mockingbird 12-14

In chapter 12 Jem starts to go threw a gradual change in his personality and childish ways. In the text Calpurnia states," Hes gonna want to be off to him self a lot now,". Scout obviously notices the change in him and she still seems to stay the same. In chapter 13 when Aunt Alexandra decides to enter Jem and Scout's lives and believe that she can become more of a mother figure for them. I dont like how she thinks she can just come right into their lives and raise them especially when she hadnt even been there for them all those years. Also in the ending of chapter 13, Atticus disciplines Jem and Scout like he never had throughout the whole novel. That sudden change in Atticus shocked me as much as it did to Scout and Jem. He had attempted to act like a mother figure just like what Scout stated at the end, " I know now what he was trying to do, but Atticus was only a man. It takes a woman  to do that kind of work". In chapter 14 when Dill comes back where Scout states, " Then he rose and broke the remaining code of our childhood", I believe that that is one of the best quotes I have read in this book so far. It says alot about what we have read so far. 

No comments: