Monday, September 16, 2013

To Kill A Mockingbird: Chapter 10 and 11

In Chapter 10,  Scout complains to many of the characters that Atticus does not do anything. She believes he is very old because he was nearly fifty. "[Atticus] wore glasses. He was nearly blind in his left eye." (pg. 89) I understand that Scout feels like her father is not as active as the other fathers but he is a single parent and has a lot on his plate. I wish she could except her father because he is a very kind man. Atticus gives great advice and gets Jem and Scout through many hard situations. In the end of this chapter, Ms. Maudie tells Scout that her father does do things. He shot the 'mad' dog and had the nickname Ol' One-Shot when he was younger. Scout was very excited that her father was able to shoot things in one shot and wanted to brag to everyone but Jem would not let her.
In Chapter 11, Jem and Scout run into some trouble with Mrs. Dubose. Mrs. Dubose comments about Atticus being a 'nigger lover' how Jem and Scout are very disrespectful kids. She is very rude and I do not think it is appropriate for an adult to make comments like these to children. Jem gets angry and ruins her bushes; his punishment being to read to her everyday for 2 hours for 1 month. The kids go over there and read which helps with her sickness. I think this is nice of the children to listen to their father and continue to read to Mrs. Dubose during her sickness. In the end she dies and Jem recieves a flower. I really like how the children continue reading to her everyday I think it is a really kind gesture.

No comments: