Thursday, September 5, 2013

To Kill A Mockingbird: Chapters 2 & 3

Chapter 2- I find it extremely odd and rude of Miss Caroline to tell Scout that her father does not know how to teach. It's absolutely none of her business if Atticus is teaching Scout how to read. Also, shouldn't Miss Caroline be happy that Scout knows how to read and write? 
I find it interesting that Walter Cunningham and his family don't ever take what they cannot pay back. 
I know that back then getting your glands whacked by a ruler was a customary punishment, but in my book it's child abuse.
Chapter 3- Calpurnia is very much the mother figure and the one who gives tough love to Scout. Although, she is kind to her. 
Atticus seems like a great dad; I would love to meet him and the rest of the characters since they seem almost alive. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree: I don't understand why Mrs. Caroline was upset that Atticus was teaching his daughter how to read. I think she should have been happy for her, and that she should have pushed her into reading more.