Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Chapter 1

I found a quote that I really like. " The sheriff hadn't the heat to put him in jail alongside the Negroes, so Boo was locked in the courthouse basement." (pg.11) I think this proves the point that we discussed in class that even though laws might change people don't. Boo committed a crime by stabbing his father, however he was not given the same punishment that the negroes would have been given if they committed the same crime.  Its like Boo is getting special privileges that he doesn't deserve just because the color of his skin is different. Also the was that the author worded the quote by saying that the sheriff "hadn't the heart" to put him in jail with all those other people shows that blacks were still being segregated even though they were free to live their rights. Even though Boo  had committed a crime that profiled him as a criminal, the situation was overlooked because he was considered better than the people in jail.

No comments: