Monday, September 16, 2013

Chapters 10-11

In chapter 10 I found it interesting that Jem and Scout didn't value their father as much as I thought they did. Throught the whole book they talked about how great of a father Atticus was, yet they were embarrassed by him because he was older than all of the other parents and did not do the same things as them. However, when they found out about his shooting skills they valued him more. This shows how unreliable the narrator is. Atticus will always love his children whether they do good or bad things in life. However the kids only showed great pride for their father when he did something that they could brag about. 
In chapter 11, I didn't like the way that Mrs.  Dubose talked to the children about their father. She was an adult and if she had a problem with Atticus' behavior she should have talked to him about it instead of making his children feel bad about their father. I also like the fact that Atticus acts as a father figure but also as a friend in this chapter. He scolds Jem for ruining Mrs. Dubose's flowers, yet he rewards him with a book after he reads to her. He has a calm way of talking to his kids, which makes teaching them a lesson more effective than yelling at them. 

No comments: