In these chapters, it reveals more about Scout and Jem. Throughout the book I believed the children loved Atticus no matter what and thought he was great. I may have misinterpreted it. In the book, it states that Jem and Scout are actually quite embarrassed of their fathers elderly age. He may not be very old, but in the day, a man his age (whatever it is) would probably be considered more a grandpa. I don't understand why scout and Jem are so embarrassed though. There is no reason for it.
Jem finally breaks when Mrs. Dubose insults Atticus to an extreme. I feel bad for both Atticus, Jem, Scout and Mrs. Dubose. Atticus because he's getting treated very poorly because he is helping an innocent (but hated) man, Jem because he can't stand people talking about his father, Scout because she hates it as well and can't even quite understand the situation, and Mrs. Dubose because she was a little crazy and addicted to morphine.
No comments:
Post a Comment