Thursday, September 12, 2013

TKAMB Chapter 9

I didn't like the fact that boys and girls had to have distinct roles in society, and they were frowned upon if they mixed up those roles. I though that it was very stereotypical when Aunt Alexandra said that if Scout wanted to be a lady she had to wear a dress. She is limiting her immagination and her freedom of being a child an enjoying life. Also, this judgement is being passed down to the children. Scout judges Francis for wanting to learn how to cook because she has been taught that cooking is a job for girls. The parebts' opinions on the roles of their daughters/sons in society are affecting the way that their children view each other. Also I thought that the part about the Ewells and the Negros was confusing. I want to know more about what happened. However, I think that the fact that Atticus is defending a Negro upsets everyone in Maycomb because Negros were looked doen upon during that time and they were not treated as equals. Therefore Scout and Jem have to pay for their father's actions even though they don't fully understand why what their father is doing is wrong. 

No comments: