Sunday, September 8, 2013

TKAMB Chapters 4 and 5

I found the part about the box with the pennies in it interesting. Jem said that the pennies were suppose to give you good luck in life. Maybe the pennies had something to do with Boo Radley. I also couldn't understand the part about the gum in the tree. If no other kids passed by the Radley house , then who put the gum there and why? Is that some sort of way to lure the kids toward the house? It seems as if everyone in this town is superstitious. For example Jem talked about Hot Steams and what would happen if a mortal ever walked through one. These kids had to hear that story from someone older than them. Everyone else's beliefs about the Radley house have been passed down to the next generation. Also, Mrs. Maudie said that she believed that Boo was still alive because she hadn't seen him being carried out of the house yet.  Aren't the town authorities curious about what goes on in that house? It's really weird that nobody cares enough to find out what really happen because they all live near the Radley house and they should want to feel protected in their neighborhood.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally agree. I was definitely confused when they talked about the gum that kept being put in the tree. Also how the local authorities haven't investigated Boo Radley's house, and why he never comes out.