Friday, September 13, 2013
To Kill A Mockingbird Ch. 10, &11
In chapter 10 we learn Atticus was the best shot in Maycomb county. I think this is significant considering this is Atticus's one socially acceptable skill in the time period. I was was perplexed as to why he would keep such a gift a secret from his children. I think the reason he kept it a secret is because he didn't want Jem and Scout to ideolize something associated with violence, he understands that a rifle gives us an unfair advantage. During this chapter we also learn the meaning of the books title. Atticus explains to Jem that he can shoot any birds he wants as long as he doesn't shoot a mockingbird, because its a sin to kill a mockingbird. Ms. Maudie goes on to explain its a sin because the only thing mockingbirds do is sing songs for us, they do no harm to anything or anyone. I think this is symbolic of the trial to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment