In chapter 11, Mrs. Dubose becomes a main character and I find her very interesting. She is horrified by the fact that Jem and Scout call their father Atticus. I believe the reason that they call him Atticus and not dad is not because of the time. I think that it is because Atticus does not want to seem a controlling figure, but instead a friend that they can trust greater than anyone. Calling someone by their first name only is what friends do to each other and shows a strong bond, unlike using other names like father, that call for a more authoritative image.
Also, Mrs. Dubose could be portrayed as rude, but it was also unintentional. She was rude to Jem and Scout calling them names. But she was an addict. Being addicted to something, especially morphine, is very dangerous and can cause a person to be irritable. I think Mrs. Dubose was in pain when she was rude towards Scout and Jem because morphine withdrawal caused fits and pain. I think that she was brave because she wanted to be free of her addiction.
I also think that Atticus shows how wise he is. In chapter 10, Jem and Scout are obsessed with the idea that Atticus is the best shooter in town and that he is the greatest. In chapter 11 Atticus shows a lesson because he would've made Scout and Jem read to Mrs. Dubose because she is being brave, and much greater than Atticus would be with a gun.
No comments:
Post a Comment