Monday, September 16, 2013

To Kill A Mockingbird: Chapter 10 & 11

Chapter 10: It's kind of like Scout wanted Atticus to be like the other dads. Almost like she was embarrassed of him being so old. Pg 90; first mention of a Mockingbird. Mrs. Maudie just said that it was providence who burned her house down... on page 91 it even said "This modest accomplishment served to make me even more ashamed of him." How? If someone accomplishes something you should be proud of them, shouldn't you? And what's up with that "mad" dog? Earlier in the chapter, it says how Atticus wouldn't teach them to shoot. It makes you feel like he doesn't know how to shoot, when really, he did since he shot the mad dog. But why doesn't Atticus tell his children about his accomplishments? "People in their right minds never take pride in their talents." Why not? Jem doesn't seem ashamed of his father.
Chapter 11: I wonder what makes Mrs. Dubose so... how she is? Why is she so bitter? I would like to know what the heck got into Jem? What happened to being a gentleman? Because the last time I checked, beating up a cranky old ladies plants, breaking your sisters baton, and pulling her hair, is not being a gentleman. Page 105: "Just pretend you're inside the Radley house." Why is Atticus promoting behavior like that? We all know that Atticus knows those rumors about the Radley house is fake... so why is he playing along? Mrs. Dubose was actually being nice to Atticus... when he came over at least. Mrs. Dubose died. I think it was nice that she wanted Jem to have that flower. I believe that, though it might not seem like it, Mrs. Dubose was a nice lady on the inside. She just didn't show it.

No comments: