Wednesday, September 4, 2013
To Kill a Mockingbird Chapters 1-3
After reading the first three chapters of the book, I found chapter three the most intriguing. I found it quite comical that the teacher did not appreciate Scout learning at home and told her not to read and write until the third grade. In our world today, a teacher would encourage a child to read at their own leisure and learn new things. In this same chapter, I found it very generous that Jem invited Walter to lunch. Scout may not have understood why Jem was being so thoughtful, but he had a caring heart and new that Walter deserved a decent meal. I couldn't help but giggle at the part where the mouse came out of the boys hair. Startling to the teacher but entertaining to me. My other comment on these few chapters would be that the tale of the Radley house was a very interesting legend with different factors that built up and contributed to the tale. It seems as though that poor family cannot catch a break and everything is doomed to go wrong in that house. It shows that different races reacted differently to the house, almost as if to show discrimination. In one quote it says, "A Negro would not pass the Radley Place at night, he would cut across the sidewalk opposite and whistle as he walked." (Pg. 13)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment